Thursday, December 3, 2009

2 weeks exactly!

I can't believe I'm leaving in 2 weeks. And I only have one week left with my kids. Speaking of them, webshots is updated with tons of new pictures. Us in the classroom, at the park, and my newly decorated room!! I wasn't allowed to paint the room, which was my initial idea, because it's considered a "gift" (completely against policy) and my school couldn't afford to buy the supplies. So instead I brought in color to the room by redoing all their posters, and getting them laminated, adding tons of pictures of the kids, and a bunch of little small touches. I love it, and my teachers even cried when I finally unveiled it to them. It was so worth the work. I've become so close with not only my children, but my 2 teachers in my room. I'm going to a big braai (south african bbq) this weekend at one of their houses, and next week when school is over for the kids for summer break, they're all taking me out to lunch. So excited. But I also told them that on my last day, just sit me in the corner and send the kids over one by one to say goodbye and I"ll be crying the entire time. They were so sweet and understanding. They told me I was the first volunteer that actually put her heart into the children and the school. Needless to say I was crying already today at work.

Outside of work I've been spending most of my time out in the city with friends. The other day, and Mom this is ridiculous, two of my friends from the house, Madi & Jenna went up table mountain (a famous mountain that you can see from everywhere in the city) at sunset. It was soooo stunningly beautiful, we sat down and had a bottle of wine and watched it set. I sent my mom and text telling her what i was doing, thinking I'd get a nice response, like "oh wow, that sounds like fun, or I'm so glad you're enjoying yourself!" What did I get..."ok". For real Mom?!! haha, we got a huge laugh out of that together, so thanks I guess.




Madi and I also took it upon ourselves to cook Thanksgiving dinner for everyone. I honestly thought it would be easy. Don't worry, I already realize what a poor and wrong assumption that was. We started the night before, and even had to stay home from work to cook. We made 2 turkeys, obscene amounts of mashed potatoes, 2 kinds of stuffing, almond and onion green beans, brussels sprouts, rolls, 2 pumpkin pies, cookies and brownies. It was a lot of fun being in the house alone and listening to christmas music all day, especially because of the warm weather here, it does not feel like Christmas time. Even though all the measurements were off because we don't know how to convert to the metric here, we didn't have measuring cups, and the oven has an "on, off" button, thats it, not temperature...the dinner was definitely a success. And thanks to Rich, we had a gorgeous center piece. Thank you again, I loved the flowers.

As I'm sure everyone knows, the world cup is held here in South Africa next year, and the city is under constant construction to prepare. I'm really sad I won't be here for the games, but I am lucky enough to be here tomorrow for the final draw. It's downtown and its when the games will be picked, teams and everything. Its the last big event to happen before the games begin. So many people are in town this week for it. Streets are shut down, and all the festivities start tomorrow afternoon with the actual draw starting at 7. Big screens are set up all down an area called Long Street. Its all bars and restaurants and shops, the whole street is shut down to cars, and every bar will have a stand outside as well. They're expecting something like 20,000 people tomorrow. I'm stoked to say the least. I'll be sure to post pictures of it this weekend.

A couple of random things I've been meaning to tell people:
I get a lot of reading done here, with no tv...so I thought I'd share some of my favorites for my readers out there:
-The Other Hand - Chris Cleave - about a Nigerian refugee in England
-The Forgers Spell - Edward Dolnick - true story about a Vermeer scandal during WWII
-anything by Jodi Picoult, but here are the ones I've finished here
- The Tenth Circle
-Finding Faith (my favorite)
-My Sisters Keeper
-The Pact
-Nineteen Minutes (a lot of the other girls loved this one, I finished it, threw it against a wall and didn't want to talk to anyone for a good 24 hours. Read it and decide which side you fall on)
-The Dive from Clausen's Pier - Ann Packer
-anything by Chelsea Handler
-Say You're One of Them - Uwen Akpan

On another note, apparently something is wrong with my mac. My baby is apparently crapping out on me. My disc drive doesn't work (a major problem for those who know how much I love my movies and watch them constantly). And its saying my hard drive is full, I have no idea how that's possible. But pray that it lasts these next 2 weeks until I can get it home and looked at.

I'm sure there's a lot more I have to write, but my mind is going blank. Sorry readers!!!

See you all soon!! wow thats crazy to write because its actually true.

<3
Kel
imub

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, tried to keep my text short so it wouldn't cost me a fortune! But you know we think you are a very lucky girl right now!

    ReplyDelete